Summary
I found an article that I thought was quite interesting - "Cell phone shopping makes wallets redundant in Japan." The article talks about how cellphones are being used as a method of payment in Japan, where more than 50 million people, about half of all cellphone users, use a phone that can act as a credit card. With that kind of cell phone, it would be very convenient to buy things. For example, people wouldn't have to run to the nearest ATM to access cash because they will, most likely, have their cellphone with them. I am always amazed by Japan's production of such advanced technology.
Connection
The connection between the article and this chapter is the use of credit cards. Both the cellphones and credit cards are used for paying on credit and not on-the-spot with cash, which makes paying for purchases easier. Like credit cards, where they were first offered by major department stores and oil companies, these cellphones were first offered by a major bank group and a major communications company.
Reflection
If these cellphones were to exist in Canada, I think that a lot people would want to get one of these cellphones, which would probably include my parents. I think that it's very cool to have a cellphone that can do so many things. Also, by 2013, it's expected that around 700 million people worldwide would own these phones.
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/technology/gizmos/story.html?id=bdc2ba32-f8e6-48cc-845a-50b907561626
Chapter 14
Posted by
Norah
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
1 comments:
I am impressed by Japanese high technology devices that they create. A credit card like that would be very handy for most people. But, will some overdo it since it is so convenient? What if we lose the cell phone; wouldn’t people be able to access it and use our money. Cell phones like those have the good and the bad sides to it. If many people were to use such credit cards then not much tellers are going to be needed at banks, which leads jobless workers. What’s more is that those cell phones can be costly so I hope our economy would be back and running by the time it comes out.
-Joanna.W
Post a Comment